Tuesday 4 November 2014

Pick of the Week – Mechanical Keyboards

Last year, I had a few ‘App of the week’ posts, designed to be easily-digestable (and easily-producible) pieces of content to keep the blog ticking over. While I’m actually rather light on good app recommendations week over week, I still like the idea. So instead, here’s a ‘pick of the week’: a thing that has caught my interest in some way that merits sharing with you in short form. 

I've become a keyboard snob. For years, an enlightened few whispered to me of the joys of the mechanical keyboard. The consistency of the key-press. The joy of the 'clack' and the 'click'. I held out, disbelieving.   

Then, this year, I caved. My parents presented the amazing gift of a Corsair K70 Cherry Red keyboard. It still brings me utter joy every time I type on it. I feel like I am throwing my fingertips at the keys, rather than making timid little button pushes.

A month later, I ditched my spongy work keyboard as well. I couldn't stand it any more. Its mechanical replacement is not as nice as my Corsair, but it has still made my work typing so much better.

I'm visiting our San Francisco office this week, and I'm using a keyboard so spongy, it should have its own Nickelodeon show. I don't know whether each keystroke will elicit a result on screen or whether I'm just doing finger exercises. It sucks. I miss my stompy keyboard. 

If you type a lot, consider a mechanical keyboard. Sure, they're more expensive, but they should last you longer anyway. Figure out which type of switch is best for your need and typing style and go from there. Many are marketed as gaming keyboards, but don't be deceived. If you're a habitual key-tickler, they're for you.

1 comment:

  1. Overall, it’s almost hard to tell that the DB-A8 isn’t using true mechanical switches and that it’s actually a rubber dome keyboard. For ~$30, it’s definitely something to consider if you’re looking for all 104-keys. mechanical keyboard under 50

    ReplyDelete