Friday 31 October 2014

10 books that have stayed with me

I know this meme has probably been and gone and had its day in the internet sun (which is like our normal sun, but made of cats), but I thought it would make an interesting enough blog post (read: I’m light on content this week, but still wanted to put something out there). 

Because brevity is the soul of basically tolerable writing, I’ll restrict myself to three sentences on each at most, and not my normal kind of Inspector-Gadget-super-extendy sentences. 

In no particular order:

Ancillary Justice – Ann Leckie
A sci-fi tale told from the perspective of a former ship’s AI, the core conceit and narrative structure make for a very entertaining read as the reader pieces together the context from flashback and wide-reaching senses. Ancillary Justice received a lot of attention (and awards) last year, too much of which focussed on its approach to gender which, while interesting, was not what made the book so good. It surprised me that a character who, on one level, you would expect to be so clinical could be so compelling.

The Secret History  Donna Tartt
My long-time favourite book, despite the fact that I have only read it fully once, and not for some years. Maybe it stuck with me because it was a tale of classicists in a classic ‘greek tragedy’ style ; maybe it just made us seem clever, if not good. Regardless, Donna Tartt spins an intriguing, alluring, and rather distressing tale (as, I gather, many are now finding with The Goldfinch—I am yet to read it) that haunted me for a long time after.

Use of Weapons – Iain M Banks
Not even my favourite Banks book, but, like many others on this list, possessed of a haunting characteristic that won’t quite leave you alone ever again. A rougish type is hired by a highly advanced civilisation to do their dirty work. On one level, it’s a space opera romp where he displays his impressive and devastating capabilities, but it takes you to some dark and unexpectedly revealing places.

On Writing – Stephen King
This is one of the most-recommended texts for writers, but it it was far from what I expected. As time passes and I spend more time trying to improve my writing, the lessons it sets out (plainly and directly) increasingly click into place. The reasons come clear in and of themselves and I suddenly understand the 'why' behind them and wonder why I couldn't just bloody well heed them in the first placebut the points are all the stronger for being learned in this way.

The Left Hand of Darkness – Ursula K Le Guin
Sci-fi that adopts an intricate and interesting stance on gender (Ancillary Justice owes Le Guin more than a little in this regard). Above all else, it was a deeply revealing story about humans and the way we are. I only read it last year, and I long to read it again and again.

Smoke and Mirrors – Neil Gaiman
I can’t pinpoint the exact moment that I fell in love with Neil Gaim—errrr, fell in love with his work *cough*, but it was probably while reading Smoke and Mirrors. A catalogue of wonders and horrors, his spinning of fairytales (both in spirit and more literally) cemented my love of his work and was probably the first time I really saw the beauty of the short story in all of its glory.

Watchmen – Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons
Watchmen felt like the first time I had read a comic in real depth, and I see more each time that I read it again. There were things I encountered before it which merited as close a reading, but it was Watchmen that actually opened my eyes to this. It’s a timeless classic for a reason, and it deserves its place in the literary canon.

The Dark Knight Returns – Frank Miller
Another graphic novel, and one of the greatest Batman stories, despite the fact that exists outside the main canon. Bruce Wayne returns from retirement to save a city sliding into near-future chaos, confronting all the logistical challenges a long retirement from a demanding (*cough*) job brings. An examination of the concept of Batman as a ‘fascist’ vigilante. A classic in narrative and form.

The Neonomicon – Alan Moore, Jacen Burrows
A disturbing, horrible, and horrifying tale that marries the mythos of H P Lovecraft with Alan Moore’s brilliant, twisted storytelling. Dark, really dark, but darkly compelling.

The Gift of Fear – Gavin de Becker
I used to see this book talked about a lot, but it doesn’t seem to be as oft-mentioned these days, but something I think everyone would benefit from reading. The warning signs and precursors to violence, how to recognise them and, hopefully, avoid them. It may help you understand people better.

Atonement – Ian McEwan
A decent if too-long book that, as is the case with most books one studies at school, we did rather over-read. Still, the feelings of anger at injustice that the book inspired are surprisingly strong even now.



The thing that surprised me the most was how many of these are books I first read in the last two years. I am not sure whether that constitutes a better record/memory of what I've been reading, or a better ability to select good books.

What are some of the ones that have stayed with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment