Friday 4 July 2014

The Hap This Week - 4th July

In the spirit of last week’s short collection of interesting (and old links) from across the ‘net, I thought I’d stick in a few more topical and relevant ones this week.

Posts This Week:
The Long Haul - my review of Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Mars
Top 5 Tabletop Games to Play in the Pub

Stupid Decision Overturned in 'Sanity Prevails' Shocker
I don’t really follow Hearthstone or the associated community, and thankfully missed the first outcry about this when the news broke that an upcoming Hearthstone qualifier tournament would be gender segregated. The article sums this up far better than I can, as well as why it’s just a plain dumb idea, but some credit should be given for actually listening and changing the decision, as well as keeping ‘woman only’ brackets an option. You can debate the ‘equality’ issue in terms of men-only vs women-only, but it’s not just about complete parity - it’s about ‘redressing the balance’ and trying to fix an existing problem, namely, the underrepresentation of women.
Esports Org Divides Men & Women, Changes After Outcry - Rock Paper Shotgun


Firaxis Announces Release Date for Alpha Centauri Successor, George’s Time Management Weeps
I always forget just how highly Firaxis rates in my hierarchy of awesome game makers. Their most recent giant time suck for me was XCOM: Enemy Unknown (and Enemy Within). A truly phenomenal game which I just can’t tear myself away from. Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri (essentially Civilization in space) was one of my all time favourite strategy games, and a successor to this, if done right, should be a blast.
Civilization: Beyond Earth enters orbit on October 24 - Joystiq


I finally got the chance to play Twilight Imperium on Sunday, and am going to share my first hands on impressions soon. I’ll leave you with the old but interesting ‘History of Social Games Flowchart’, showing the development of gaming from the ancient world to today (well, more or less). Original source: http://radoff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/HistorySocialGames1.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment