Friday 18 January 2013

The Stories So Far...

As promised in my first post, I’m going to share my thoughts on what I’ve read so far. It’s currently week three, and I’m on schedule, with three books down and well into a number more (helped by taking a long flight last week!).

I’m not intending on writing full-blown reviews on every book I read (that would be a whole project in itself, I feel!), but I plan to share some of my thoughts about each one in some form, and hopefully get into some sort of discussion on them, because this is obviously something that makes reading infinitely more interesting. This is doubly important where the books are recommendations. If you’ve got your book onto my list, I want to compare notes and see what made you choose it.

First up to start off the year was Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman (2006). Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself on Twitter) is one of my absolute heroes, and probably my favorite author of all time (you’re certainly going to see more from him on here!). I've always been particularly enamoured of his short stories, which always remind me how great a format that is.
That was a good day...
You find yourself caught up in a story within just a few lines, without the need for lengthy setup or preamble. Almost inevitably, you’re left with questions, or sometimes just a faint sense of confusion - wanting more than just the glimpse into the world you’ve just seen. Often, the shorter the story, the more you'll want to dwell on it.

You can probably tell from my gushing just what I think of Gaiman’s writing in general. Long story short - the book’s subtitle says it all: “Short Fictions and Wonders’. It’s a collection of literary ephemera and oddities, and there should be something for everyone here. (Also check out his earlier short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors). 

Second is The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern (2011). It says a lot about this one that I read all 450ish pages in one non-stop sitting - though this is the book I read on the flight, so you might argue that it just says that I had nothing else to do for 7 hours (not true, by the way). The Night Circus was recommended by Georgia, and I found myself rapidly engrossed (the flight went by VERY quickly). If you enjoy beautifully evocative ‘phantasmagorical fairytales’ (much is made of the senses, and how they can be misdirected and deceived), then definitely pick this up (and don’t plan on putting it down for a while).

The third (and currently final) book is The Revolution of Saint Jone, by Lorna Mitchell (1988). This can best be described as ‘Feminist Science Fiction’. The book is set on a distant future Earth (with still-recognisable place names ‘The Yukeys’, ‘Strylia’) where rational science and mathematics have merged with religion (forming The Church of the Rational Cosmos - the Krischans). The story sets up the contrast between the sanctified 'Krischans', striving for a rational, id-less, emotion-suppressed state of Zen, and the 'Ethnics' who represent a more 'primitive' social group (though one that seems closer to our own than the enlightened Krichans).

This was an interesting read, but one that, if pushed, I’d say I didn’t really like. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy reading it, I’m just not entirely sure what I think of it. I could see that all sorts of analogies were being drawn and points were being made, but I found the setting too 'remote' to be able to grasp and engage with these properly. The sheer number of words and concepts created for the sake of the setting was overly distracting and distancing from what it was trying to convey. 

http://xkcd.com/483/


Right in the last chapter, though, Mitchell really hits the reader over the head with what it’s all about, but it’s all in a very Ayn-Randian way which feels like it would be more suited to a pamphlet essay that a dialogue. If you’re interested in something a bit different, maybe take a look (it’s short!), but otherwise, I’d probably pass.

So, that’s it so far. Next time it will be a little more focussed, as I’ll only be trying to cover one book, not three. I think I’ve had it easy so far, between plane rides, short reads, and favorite authors, so I’ve got some ways to go yet. 

What do you think? Have you read Fragile Things, The Night Circus, or The Revolution of Saint Jone, and want to set me right/agree vociferously? Take it to the comments below (though let’s keep it spoiler-free for those that haven’t read them yet). 


Week 3
3/52

Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman (2006)
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern (2011)
The Revolution of Saint Jone - Lorna Mitchell (1988)

Currently Reading:
Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy - John Le Carré (1974)
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett (1989)
Currently Listening To:
Jobs - Walter Isaacson (2012)

4 comments:

  1. Fragile Things is OUTSTANDING. "The Problem of Susan" and "A Study In Emerald" are highlights, but there are so many haunting ideas. "Diseasemaker's Croup" was really interestingly written, and I must have shamelessly stolen the story of "Sunbird" in conversation several times!

    It looks, from the Wikipedia article, that there were a few stories not included in the British paperback version. TO THE INTERWEBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! It is also likely to lead to more reading on my part. :) I'm just finishing up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, so I might do Fragile Things next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the Night Circus, a friend bought it me for Christmas and I too read it in less than a day (and I wasn't stuck on a plane for seven hours, I could have left the house and everything!). Really colourful characters,not sure how satisfied I was with the ending though, what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Scubbo - looking down the contents list, tried to pick out a favourite or two. Genuinely can't. Every single one stands out in some way or other - though A Study In Emerald is a VERY strong start. I may attempt some of the missing pieces of Sandman, as I sorely need to finish that.

    @Allie - do it! It's a quick read that I can hardly imagine you not enjoying!

    @Em - I remember thinking through much of it that I couldn't see how they were going to end it satisfactorily. Without spoilers, I think that everything actually tied up in a really neat way that was very fitting with the characters, theme, and the setting (what little we actually see of it, in the scheme of things, really).

    ReplyDelete